8.02.2011

Gluten Free Brownies

Here we go, gluten free brownies (take's a bite)- Pretty good, especially while they are still warm!


Ideally I would have tried the gluten free flour mix from the NY Times, but I had to work with what I already had. After comparing a few different flour mix recipes, with varying ratios of ingredients, many of which I didn't event have, I decided to just go for my own basic mix. So, my first gluten free flour mix is:
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1/4 cup almond flour (According to the Isa you can use as a substitute for corn flour)
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/3 cup brown rice flour
My regular brownie recipe creates cake-like brownies, and the gluten-free version was just as cakey and chocolatey. The texture was only slightly off and after cooling completely where a bit dryer than usual. Over all I would say a success! (The Joy of Cooking actually has a note at the end of their brownie recipe that says 1 1/3 C rice flour can be substituted for the 1 cup flour in the brownie recipe, and this book is from the 1970s before gluten free was talked about.)

2 comments:

  1. Your brownies look great! I love that they have the crispy layer on top.

    Tomorrow I'm finally buying the flours to make the NY Times gluten-free flour mix. Hopefully Abby will have some creations we can talk about soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, Please share how your next gluten free baked goods come out!

    ReplyDelete

comments make me smile!